Pages

Thursday, August 1, 2013

Long run

Originally I had planned to go out with a friend early in the day and run later. When my friend cancelled, I had to make a quick decision about when to do my long run. I didn't sleep much last night since I'm all turned around with my sleep schedule so I woke up at 5ish and decided to read. I'm really into a new series my husband got me on called "The immortal instrument series" and boy is it hard to put down! At 8 I ate some peanut butter and toast and had a big glass of water before continuing to read until 9:15. I came to part 3 in my book and decided to run while it was still cool and before I lost track of more time. 

I set out to do 7-8 miles around 9:30. I planned my route ahead I'd time and decided to do it backwards than I normally do. The first 3 miles went great. I felt good and my heart rate and breathing were comfortable. Around mile 3 my right foot started to hurt a little bit. I tried a bit of walking near a stoplight but that actually made it feel worse so I kept running. Around 5 miles I seemed to hit my wall. I all of a sudden got super thirsty and tired feeling. It just got worse through the next mile. I can't remember the last time I've ever felt that thirsty! I was even considering asking someone who was out in their yard working for a drink of water. My pride held me back and I kept running. I never have carried a water bottle with me because it felt too bulky or odd. After today though I will be looking into a handheld water bottle. The further I seemed to go the more tired I felt and I found myself walking more and more even with the pain in my foot. I was feeling pretty discouraged. Finally I arrived home after 7.3 miles in an embarrassingly slow 1:45:47. I keep telling myself that I should be proud I finished and didn't give up. My foot however still hurts and it see,s to be the tendon running along the top of my right foot. I took some ibuprofen and I'm hoping by tomorrow it feels much better. 

After my run and 3 huge glasses of cool water (ahhhhh) I showered and got a text from my friend who cancelled on me saying she was now available for lunch if I was. I drove out and met her at a little diner in Ann Arbor called Cafe Marie's. I had the grilled chicken cherry salad and boy was it delicious! I came home after a long lunch with my friend and cleaned up the kitchen. After a short nap I got up and PJ made turkey burgers and sweet potato fries. It was good and I felt like I've had a pretty good day food wise. I ate 3 meals with minimal snacking and that's what I'd like to make habit. I get into trouble when I snack a whole lot. 

Now I'm laying in bed watching some tv and gonna finish my book! Then it's bedtime for this tired girl! I'm gonna try to run an easy couple miles tomorrow if my foot is feeling up to it. Wish me luck!

Here are some things I need to keep in mind as I run:


No comments:

Post a Comment